Saturday 11 August 2012

My guide to Canadian highways

I've been having a hectic week, what with moving into my new apartment (WOOHOO!!) and my dad being in town, so I've been neglecting this blog. I've been working on this post for a while and I really thought it was going to be more entertaining but it's not. I'm posting it anyways because I spent too much time on it.

So now that I've driven from Fredericton to Calgary, I have driven on the Transcanada Highway in six of the provinces. Here is my unofficial guide to these highways.


New Brunswick

By far the best highways. No potholes, no bumps, no nothing. Probably due to the fact that they are mostly deserted and they seemed to be repaved every few years. And the speed limit is 110km/h for most of the province. AWESOMENESS!! The one thing is you are in forest country the whole time.







Quebec
Construction galor. Be prepared to see a lot of orange construction pillars. Lots of traffic, especially between Quebec city and Montreal. And surprisingly, I don't find Quebec drivers to be that bad. And driving through Montreal really isn't that bad.





Ontario
The. Never. Ending. Province. You drive in the middle of nowhere for the better part of three days. Long stretches with no gas station (make sure you fuel up when you see a gas station). When you do see a station, know that gas will be a fortune! The highest I saw was 139/litre. It's a two way the hole time at 90km/h but with a lot of passing lanes so you're never stuck behind anyone for too long. The road conditions are all right and I can't say there's a lot of construction I hope you like trees because you'll be seeing a whole whack of them. Gorgeous drive in Lake Superior Provincial Park. But honestly, driving in Ontario = Longest 3 days ever. 






Manitoba...Clearly someone was
lacking imagination
Yup, that's me driving in Manitoba.
After a brutal 3 days in 90km/h two-way road, what a relief to see 4 lanes and 110km/h!! I felt like even my car was sick and tired of being so slow. By far the worst roads conditions in the country. Felt like I was on a horse (not that I would know, since I never road a horse...). But on the plus side, you're out of the trees and into the prairies!! 



Saskatchewan
Loving this marketing campaign. Whoever
thought of it is a genius!
Honestly, I was enjoying the view too much to notice the road conditions. Growing up in southern New Brunswick, all you ever see are trees, trees and more trees. So going into the prairies is quite a special thing. So to all of you who think prairies are boring, I find them absolutely fascinating. Hundreds of bails of hay on every field = me with big huge eyes (and paying attention to the road of course). The bonus of driving in the prairies is that your odds of hitting an animal are pretty slim. If you can't see a moose in a flat field, you honestly should not be driving. 





Alberta
More of the same, up until Calgary, where you start to see the Rockies in the distance. And then it's hard to focus on the road because I LOVE the Rockies! And then I get chills because I can't wait to drive up to them and go explore them!! I'm a sucker for natural wonders and boy, the Rockies rank pretty high on my list!!



And that's my guide to Canadian Highways. Hopefully I did not bore you to death with my on going commentary of the Trans Canada!

1 comment:

  1. Bahahahahaha!!! XD This made my day!!! :D
    Very entertaining!!

    I love you for shedding a favourable light on my home province of Saskatchewan!! <3 (lol my favourite line: "If you can't see a moose in a flat field, you honestly should not be driving." XD

    ReplyDelete